After the meeting I headed to the What's UP 2007 event in the same building.
The event was very informal with five bloggers, myself included, making predictions for 2007. The bloggers were:
- David Farrar, Kiwiblog
- Hamish MacEwan, local visionary
- Mauricio Freitas, Geekzone
- Philip Fierlinger, turntable technologist
- Tom Beard, Wellurbanite and Wellingtonista's Web-Writing-Wellingtonian of the Year
And guess what? Against stiff competition I won the audience vote to receive the "Unlimited Potential's Visionary of the Year for 2007" award.
So what exactly did I predict? Here's my list:
- Telecom New Zealand CEO Theresa Gattung will leave the company by May 2007, opening the way for a takeover;
- Econet Wireless will not deliver a new cellular network in 2007, and may actually fold;
- Microsoft's new operating System Windows Vista will be used by end users, but enterprise will not widely adopt the new OS until 2008;
- MSM wants to have the same status as blogs, and bloggers will get together in networks and become more like MSM;
- Queen Elizabeth II, By the Grace of God, Queen of New Zealand and Her other Realms and Territories, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith will abdicate (read more about New Zealand monarchy).
During the event we had the chance to present our predictions and explain how we got to those conclusions. Of course you should take these in the light hearted way they were meant - an entertaining evening with some good yarn in between.
The What's UP 2007 was promoted by Unlimited Potential, a community connecting young IT professionals, based in Wellington, New Zealand.
UPDATE: The event was covered by Ken Lewiss for m-net.
Other related posts:
2Cheap Cars discussion
Things coming up fast: new job at Intergen, Microsoft TechEd 2013
Man fiction page
comments powered by Disqus