I just finished installing it. Running a virtual machine is great. I did a full backup of this server (which run Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 in addition to NewsGator) in about 10 minutes. If anything could go wrong I wouldn't be more than 10 minutes away from having my full environment restored.
Back to NewsGator, lucky it didn't go wrong. Installation was really smooth and with no problem. The install script upgraded my SQL database to the new schema - but I did have to install Microsoft .Net Framework v2 on this server because of the software requirements. No problem with that either.
The first time I run the software I did have a scary moment - the script threw an error, which now I believe was a timeout (although at the time it was referencing one of the assemblies). After rebooting and a few moments of 100% CPU utilisation, the NewsGator Web News Reader showed up - with a fresh new UI:
I see the feeds now show the favicon and they are all updated. Perhaps that's why the high CPU usage? Anyway, everything back to normal here and I am now playing around with it.
Also improved is the PDA-friendly web interface. First it's much faster to load now. And I believe it is so because version 1.4 only outputs links to feeds with updated content, while version 1.0 output links to all feeds, but making them invisible if no new content was available. It also had fixed a small problem with feed counters:
My next steps are to install NewsGator Inbox and download NewsGator Go! for Windows Mobile. I have FeedDemon installed, but it still tries to access the NewsGator public server, instead of my NGES (even though the configuration file points to my server). I will have to check this later.
Otherwise, I am happy that this was a painless upgrade - back up and running!
Other related posts:
Microsoft Ignite New Zealand, Microsoft Surface Studio
Geekzone data analytics with Power BI
Now with more fibre
comments powered by Disqus